Saturday, March 5, 2011

letters and memories

In my bedroom closet, I have a copy paper box. It is filled with letters and cards that I've received from friends and family over the years. Before the days of email and Facebook and texting, I actually was a fairly prolific letter writer, particularly between the ages of 13 and 28 or so. I had several friends during those years who lived across the state or across the country, and I kept up correspondence by letter since it was cheaper than long-distance telephone rates. And it was fun to get mail.

I decided to pull out the box tonight and start sorting through it, and decide whether it was time to let some of them go. I am rereading many of the letters as part of this process. I expected the trip down memory lane to be fun, and it has been so far. I didn't expect to find myself tearing up at times, but that has happened too. I miss the closeness I used to have with some of the friends who wrote those letters, and despite the ease of electronic communications, I know that we will never recreate the kind of friendships we used to have.

I have many more letters to go through,this is probably a weekend-long project. Some won't have an emotional tie for me anymore and those I will finally discard. Others will be very bittersweet, because they came from people who have since died and those letters may be the only thing I have left from them. Those I will keep, along with at least some of the ones from some of the more significant friendships of my past and present.

There are a few that made me laugh outright. This letter was written by my youngest sister, aged 11 at the time, when I was in my freshman year at Ohio State.




I still write real letters from time to time, although mostly if I do, the letter is to Joe. After all, a romance should have real love letters. ;-) Letter writing is not as easy as it used to be for me, though, I am woefully out of practice. I could make a vow to do better, but I suspect I would not be very successful at keeping it. Handwritten correspondence is going the way of the dodo, and I am one of the guilty parties in its ultimate demise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Kris. Never give up writing even short notes. I have in my closet/stash letters from my Grandmothers to my parents, letters from my dad to my mom during the war (not yet read at his request) and letters from Norb to me and me to him (I might burn these before I die LOL)I am sure I have some cards and notes from you kids although I put the childhood ones in your "save boxes" long ago I think. Sweet memories. I like your project. Love, Mom

Theia said...

I have cards saved, and often they bring me to tears too. I will never get rid of them!

solarpowered said...

About a year ago, I received an unexpected but super awesome card from a wonderful person when I was dealing with all the hurt that life could throw me. Your note was a reminder that there are great people, and the personal touch of a handwritten note meant the world to me. :) I still have the card, btw.