Monday, February 4, 2008

smiles

These things made me smile, as I ran on campus this evening:

* It was actually warm enough to run outdoors without wearing 5 layers. In fact, I wore capris and one long-sleeve shirt, and I would have been OK with a short-sleeve shirt instead.

* I heard a student start randomly singing Across The Field, one of Ohio State's two fight songs. Out loud. To nobody in particular. Mostly in tune. ;-)

* I saw the ducks at Mirror Lake standing on the edge of the ice, looking into the open water as if they did not know what to make of it

* I saw 3 young men out on the Oval, setting up to play some frisbee. I haven't seen students play on the Oval in a few months. It would have been fun to see them after playing awhile, they'd probably end up all mud-covered.

* I saw 3 young women walking across campus together. One was wearing a sweatshirt, tennis shoes, and yoga pants. One had on at least 2 sweatshirts, jeans, and winter boots. The other was wearing a light jacket, yoga pants, and flip flops. While I think the winter boots were a bit much for today's weather, I will never understand why anyone would think it makes sense to wear flip flops in February in Ohio. (Does this mean I am old??)

Even if I hadn't seen all those things, I'd still have been smiling. It was just a really good run.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me smile!

Anonymous said...

dude. you always know when its spring at Ohio State when the girls start showing way too much skin...

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't find the flip flops odd. But then I go out to the curb to get my paper barefoot year round. In the snow. Drives my husband nuts.